Navigation Pages

Saturday, 17 January 2015

DIY Book Covers | Back to School

Don't hate me for saying this but school is just around the corner ...
(every student rapidly runs to their beds and hides) 
I know, I hate me too but we can't stop time or make it go any slower so we might as well embrace it and get excited by all the new stationary we get to buy! 
So to try and get back into the school spirit I decided to decorate my exercise books just as a fun thing to do on the holidays as well as to make my books look cooler than everyone else's ;)

CONTACT 
Polka Dot Contact $2- Target
Paint Splat Contact $2- Kmart

So this first design probably takes you back to your primary school days where your mum used to cover your school books in barbie or high school musical contact. Since we've all moved on from that stage, I picked up some simple patterned contact from Target and Kmart. These are really inexpensive and with some practise, really easy to apply. I like using contact as it not only makes your books look cool but it also protects them from tears which we all know will happen some time during the year!
For the labels I just used white paper and glued them on. I'd recommend using very strong glue and putting paste on the whole label so it's less likely to come off during the year.

PAPER

If you can't find any contact you like, this next design is great for you!
It's virtually the same as the contact but you use patterned paper instead. I had all this paper at home already from my scrapbooking days so I'd advise having a look at home before you go out and buy some. As you may or may not be able to tell, I tried to pick paper that related to the subject of that book. For example for my biology unit 1 notes book I chose paper that looked like what you would see under a microscope. For both biology books I just wrote the labels with markers but for my media book, I decided to stick with the theme and put the subject and my name in a speech bubble. Some other ideas of picture labels are an apron for food tech, a poloroid for photography, some test tubes for chemistry, etc. etc.
To attach the paper to the book, I just used a glue stick but as paper is prone to ripping I suggest contacting the book in clear contact. I will be doing this once I know what homegroup I'm in.  
Unfortunately my paper could not cover the whole of my books so what I did was make a little margin just past the spine. You could also put patterned washi/scotch tape to add something extra.

LETTERING

An alternative to just writing the subject and your name is lettering. I found these at home but you can find them at any craft store or Kmart. I used lettering on paper that wasn't patterned and more plain to add something extra. I really like how the blue and green stand out against the rustic brown o this cover! 

DRAWN 
For my maths book I covered it in hot pink paper and then lay graph paper over the top. As it was my maths book I wrote down heaps of equations and drew lots of shapes in different colours. If you're any good at drawing, you can also do this with other books but with a collage of sketches which would look really cool and unique. For the label I added another square piece of hot pink paper that's meant to be like a sticky note. I think it turned out pretty well.

MAGAZINE CUT OUTS
 
This is by far my favourite design but it also took the most time. I got out a stack of old magazines and cut out triangles of anything that caught my eye using a template I made. I tried to choose things that were either patterned or unusual. This is a very 'Tumblr' inspired book and I absolutely love it. If you wanted to personalise it, you could use photos that you've taken yourself. I placed my name on the edge of the book though you could place it anywhere. I pasted the triangles onto purple paper which I glued to the exercise book. This probably took me about an hour but it was so worth it!!

I hope you got some ideas or inspiration from this post and will share it with your friends.
I had a lot of fun making these and I hope you do too!
Check back here soon for more back to school posts :)

❀❀❀



5 comments:

  1. Love this idea and they look so cute!x

    daisysmart.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say I have never done this before! Such a great idea though definitely for organization and obviously looks! They look fantastic! You're very crafty (:
    Follow for follow on bloglovin? (:

    Happy Since 95 | Beauty & Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you ! I just followed you :) xx

      Delete
  3. I'm probably going to do the magazine cut-outs one soon! Thank for sharing! x
    trulyyourskyle

    ReplyDelete